Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ymha02  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 5:10:13 PM(UTC)
ymha02

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi!

Summary:
In October 2015 my contracting company was told that all its employees had to get an SSBI TS investigation for the area of the contract I was on. So I received an email from the Navy security office telling me I needed to fill out an eqip. I submitted the eqip and was told in late December 2015 that my investigation has been open by OPM.

At the end of March 2016, I switch contracting companies, but still worked for the same Navy agency. I assumed that my SSBI would be closed after getting a new contracting job, but that didn't happen.

In early may 2016, I received an offer of employment from the Navy, "same agency" and was told security office will contact me soon after I accepted the offer. In the middle of June I received an email from the security office that they saw I had a SSBI TS investigation ongoing and they will use that.

As of Today 07/28/16 I have not been contacted by a investigator nor told by any of my old supervisors or reference that they have been contacted.

I called OPM last week and this week and was told they are working on my investigation, but would not tell me anything else.

My Questions:

Would switching contracting companies have had an impact on my investigation to the point no investigator has been assigned to it? More over, if my old contracting company FSO requested to cancel my SSBI, would it take months to cancel?

someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 5:23:07 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 165 post(s)
I can only comment on the last point: if the FSO at your contracting company DID NOT update your record right away, your case can linger in an "open" state. Once they do that, I don't think it would take months to cancel the investigation, but there will definitely be a delay especially with regard to any cases that have been assigned to investigators.

Well I guess I can also comment that even if your case has been open continuously since December 2015 it is not terribly surprising that you would not have been contacted yet.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
JustFedUp  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:32:52 PM(UTC)
JustFedUp

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
But a six pack of of beer as a give it to your Security Manager. In return, ask they go into JPAS and find out where your clearance is in the process and the CAGE code of the sponsor it associated with.
CivSer67  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:13:29 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
excellent advice from JustFedup!
mudpie  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2016 5:55:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Dont get too excited. OPM is about 12-18 months behind on SSBI investigations. Clearances are reciprocal so the background investigation will continue until someone cancels it.

Edited by user Friday, July 29, 2016 6:44:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

someoldguy  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2016 6:11:29 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JustFedUp Go to Quoted Post
In return, ask they go into JPAS and find out where your clearance is in the process and the CAGE code of the sponsor it associated with.

Do government agencies have CAGE codes? I know contractors do.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
JustFedUp  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2016 8:51:26 AM(UTC)
JustFedUp

United States

Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JustFedUp Go to Quoted Post
In return, ask they go into JPAS and find out where your clearance is in the process and the CAGE code of the sponsor it associated with.

Do government agencies have CAGE codes? I know contractors do.

This is a good FAQ page on CAGE codes:

http://siccode.com/en/pages/what-is-a-cage-code

I believe DoDAACs are what is used for the Feds.

JustFedUp  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2016 8:57:00 AM(UTC)
JustFedUp

United States

Originally Posted by: mudpie Go to Quoted Post
Dont get too excited. OPM is about 12-18 months behind on SSBI investigations. Clearances are reciprocal so the background investigation will continue until someone cancels it.

What also puts a monkey wrench in the glacier-paced system is trying to get a clearance right after a presidential election.

Lot of political cronies will need get their security clearances to serve in the new administration. As a result, common mortals go to the back of the processing line.

mudpie  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2016 10:24:15 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Not every agency uses OPM for background checks. There are some special Name Check offices for VIPs and special requests.
CivSer67  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2016 9:16:25 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Mudpie,
We are not behind on any type of investigations here in Europe.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed