Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shanfederal  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:51:56 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I hava a question regarding promotion policy from GS13 to GS14. I am now in GS 13 Step 10.  After Step 10, there are no steps. Do they promote me to GS 14 step 5 or ?. I just joined with Step 10. I am trying to know what are the options for promotion policy.

thanks

tucker515  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:58:18 AM(UTC)

The "two step"" rule still applies. Figure out the interval between step 9 and 10 of your 14 (using base pay)- now make a step 11 and step 12. (i.e add "two steps" to your step 10 of GS-13. That amount is your minimum promotion amount. Now go over the the GS-14 chart (using base pay-without locality). Figure out where on the GS-14 pay scale the amount is- if it falls between two steps you get the higher of the steps.
I am sorry, but I do not have the time to respond to private messages. I will not respond to them.
shanfederal  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:09:22 AM(UTC)

tucker515,

Thank you for your quick reply. I work in IT dept at D.C. Recently I have joined. Do I have to wait for 1 or 2 year to get step increase? Any time frame, since this is the last step, after that there is no step in GS13.

I appreciate for your quick response.
the rock99  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 6:01:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
shanfederal,

We need some clarification here, I think tucker515 interpreted your question to be what would happen if you got promoted, the answer that he/she gave you only applies if you are promoted to a 14, which does not automatically happen. 

The way I read your question, you are saying you are a GS-13 step 10 and want to know whether you will get promoted to GS-14 when it is time for a step increase.  The answer to that is no, if you are at step 10 you do not get step increases, the only raise you will get is the normal January increase in base pay and locality pay.  The amount of this raise varies every year and can be 0%, it all depends on congress.  In fact, it is even possible that the change in locality pay could be negative which could result in losing money.

The only way for you to begin getting step increases is to apply for and receive a promotion to a position where you are not at step 10.
the rock992010-01-23 14:12:32
shanfederal  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 6:17:39 AM(UTC)

Rock99,

I appreciate for your suggestion. I think you r right, i will not get promotion automatically. I just joined, i have no clue about promotion policy. Basically I have to apply, is there any time frame to apply or can I apply at any time?, since I have joined 1 month ago only.

thx  Shanfederal
the rock99  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 6:49:43 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

There are bascially two kinds of job postings (and this is oversimplifying it), internal and external.  If you are applying on an internal posting (in most cases) you are required to have 1 year time in grade at the next lower level so you have to be a 13 for 12 months before you can apply for a 14.  If it is an external posting, and you can document outside experience equivalent to a GS-13 than you can apply for a 14 without any time in grade at all.  Since you got hired in at step 10, I would assume that you probably have equivalent experience so if you see a 14 posted externally (public) go for it.

bmj2  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 10:45:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 43 post(s)
One modification I would make to rock99's answer on experience.  A GS14 is fairly senior management level in the federal service in most instances.  Unfortunately the federal pay system does not do a good job of paying for specialized technical experience so those positions often get graded into higher GS grades to bring the pay in line.  Having the technical experience to come in at a GS 13/10 is not the same as having the GS system knowledge of a 13/10.  If you are promoted to a GS 14 all the civil service under you will expect you to know the GS system and be the mentor to help them and their careers.  In fact, as a 13/10, most of the lower grade civil service will already will already expect you as a 13 to know these things.   If you have goals of promotion, I implore you to learn as much as you can beforehand to better serve those who will be below you.
shanfederal  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 8:49:28 PM(UTC)

BMJ,

Nice suggestion. As you mentioned, that I have technical experience, but not managerial exposure. I am going for PMP Certification and will focus on managerial aspects.

This forum is very helpful and very prompt in suggestions / help.

thx...
PsychoFan  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 11:54:38 PM(UTC)

Wait, is your current position a ladder position (i.e. what is the promotion potential?)?  If the answer is yes (i.e. GS 13 is the highest you can go), then you will not getting any increases in salary beyond the annual 2-4% increase that all federal employees get for as long as you're in that position.  If not, then going from GS13 Step 10 to GS 14 does NOT happen one year after your EOD.  I believe there is a 5-yr (I think it's 5, maybe 4) waiting period for advancement at Step 10.

At least that's what I have read  
PsychoFan2010-01-24 08:00:59
shanfederal  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:19:51 AM(UTC)

I just applied from USAJOBS for GS13 position. How do I know whether this post have ladder position?Where do I have to get this info? Advise accordingly.

thanks

PsychoFan  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:33:51 AM(UTC)

It will be shown on the usajob announcement.

"Promotion Potential:   XX"

tucker515  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:41:32 AM(UTC)

It would have been in the announcement- it would have said promotion potential o the GS-14 level. Have you received an SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) for your appointment yet? There should be a remark on it saying what the full performance level of the job is. You canalso ask your supervisor or your HR office.
I am sorry, but I do not have the time to respond to private messages. I will not respond to them.
shanfederal  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:12:19 AM(UTC)

In ad, mentioned like

Promotion Potential: GS-13
Relocation expenses may or may not be paid.This is a bargaining unit position.
So I got to apply outside my division or I have to wait for any new ad in our same division for internal posting.
Any how you guys are awesome, giving nice info.
Texas Austin  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:58:31 AM(UTC)
overpaid

shanfederal wrote:
I hava a question regarding promotion policy from GS13 to GS14. I am now in GS 13 Step 10.  After Step 10, there are no steps. Do they promote me to GS 14 step 5 or ?. I just joined with Step 10. I am trying to know what are the options for promotion policy.

thanks

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">
If there are no opening than you may remain a 13 for your entire career
tucker515  
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:52:54 AM(UTC)

Even if there is an opening- you might not get selected.
shanfederal  
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:27:36 AM(UTC)

Hey Guys I just joined a week ago to Federal Govt from private sector (working last 12 years). I feel Fed is better than private, got a pay raise within a week (2.5%)..My friends at private did not get their pay raise for last 2 years....This is for your info...

Any how i got all the required info regarding Federal promotion policy....Thank you once again...You guys are awesome!!!
deepcdvr  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 6:17:38 PM(UTC)
deepcdvr

Quick question

I am a GS-13 step 8. I am applying to a GS-14 position in the same locality. What is the maximum step I can legally get during the negotiations with HR?

Thanks!!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed