Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Soup 2.0

We encourage your suggestions and ideas for ways we can improve your experience, and welcome feedback. While we are unable to respond to every comment and/or email message, we are listening!

Our user-generated content is extremely valuable to us, but we also recognize the problems that can occur as a result and are steadily working toward improvements. This is the place to share!

Please ONLY post topics here that are related to the FederalSoup interface and user experience. Any topic posted that is not related to the forum interface will be moved to the appropriate forum.

(HINT: If you don't know exactly where your topic fits, post it in the General Conversations forum.)

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
martyb  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:44:53 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Not liking it so much. Harder to tell which topics have new or fresh posts...probably due to the color scheme. Also....even though I am a registered user, I keep having to log in again. What's up with that. Annoying. It's more a pain in the A to just stop by FedSoup now...especially when I'm at work. I expect I'll be spending less time here than before. I'm a longtime member. What are other's thoughts?

Oh, almost forgot...the font size is too small, difficult to read.

Edited by user Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:45:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Forum trolls to 0%
thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
karen1920 on 4/22/2014(UTC), Stephan on 5/7/2014(UTC)
Mike Clapsis  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:47:58 AM(UTC)
MJ_Fed_Guy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
+1

I'm having a problem with not being able to see new posts also. I'm all for new and better - I guess the site owner will need to iron out all the bugs.

Edited by user Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:51:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ForzaMilan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:05:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
On the bright side, I like that you can now hide posts from specific posters. So I get to decide who the trolls are.

And it would be nice to have the New Posts feature added back on here.
PATRICIA KANGAS  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:55:46 AM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ForzaMilan Go to Quoted Post
On the bright side, I like that you can now hide posts from specific posters. So I get to decide who the trolls are.

it is nice but i'm going to sort of miss max.

thanks 1 user thanked old fed for this useful post.
Stephan on 5/7/2014(UTC)
Greyinnam  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2014 7:18:15 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This new format sucks.

Like when google added the search bar to the new tab page.

If there was a substitute for this forum I would bail.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
karen1920 on 4/22/2014(UTC)
postalvet  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:23:59 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 1687 time(s) in 1297 post(s)
is there any way to make it so when we click on a post it takes us to where we left off?

why don't you delete posts that can get people fired?

why don't you answer emails?
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
thanks 1 user thanked postalvet for this useful post.
old fed on 4/13/2014(UTC)
Hearth Log  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:05:58 AM(UTC)
hearth

Not caring much for new format either, for the same basic reason as others: How do you pull up just the new posts that you have not seen? It would take some time to learn how to use this and not sure it's worth putting in a lot of effort to do it. I don't see much advantage to the change - but then, these days it seems we go through change for change's sake and not necessarily to improve anything much.
thanks 1 user thanked hearth for this useful post.
Lock Jocker  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:23:58 AM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I don't like the new format either... when I saw the front I thought someone in their 60s help design that (or someone young with bad eyesight). Then I opened a post and the text was small... someone with great eyesight designed that.

And the top takes up HALF my monitor... really? All that DEAD white space.... Why does "Federal Soup" need to be so large? Honestly, you don't know where you went? Can't see?

All this makes you scroll through topics (which some are not active for over a year) in order to see what is new. On that note, there might be too many sections.

Positive note, the colors are nice.

Originally Posted by: ForzaMilan Go to Quoted Post

I'd rather have a properly moderated forum... seems we still get the mod coming in after days or weeks and deleting accounts of several people. Then the people come right back... it is comical. But without them, there would be no FED Soup hardly.

Maybe the mods should ask some long-time posters to be "associate mods"... where they can give out warnings, move posts, etc.

I think they should go like a lot of other forums.... have an "off topic" where anything goes. Post there at your own risk... outside of saying "I'm going to kill you" everything is good.

The problem with attempting to remove someone is that they simply have their account deleted and then they come back. Plus, they get quoted so you see those. And then someone is talking about something and you can't follow. Then you lose interest and don't return.

This forum could be great... but the owners don't seem to care about it.

thanks 2 users thanked King_Fed for this useful post.
karen1920 on 4/22/2014(UTC), Kumary on 4/23/2014(UTC)
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:50:04 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 1687 time(s) in 1297 post(s)
the forum does not remember me.

I have to always log in!!!

and no it is not my computer.

old forum I never had to log in I was remembered everytime!!!
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
constance  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:33:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
In addition to everything else that's wrong and not user-friendly with Fed Soup now, you can no longer look up a member to see if they are still here or not. When you try, there are several criteria that make no sense. Why not just type the name or part of the name as before? I'm trying to figure out if much of these "improvements" are for privacy or more transparency. Either way this is definitely not an improvement and, unlike past changes, it's too cluttered to get used to.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
RetireinFL  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 12:17:40 PM(UTC)
RetireinFL

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
If you look to the far left corner of your screen and see a bright orange circle on the folder, that means there are new posts in that forum. If you look to the far right corner on your screen and see two very small icons (that are not translucent), clicking on the first one will bring you to the last post of the topic, clicking on the second will bring you to the first unread in the topic. Why someone is posting about being on FederalSoup while at work is a mystery to me, but I don't think it is the job of the forum administrators to monitor whether a poster could be fired for posting.
Knight  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 9:59:43 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 478 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post

why don't you delete posts that can get people fired?

In this day and age there wouldn't be any posts left. But in the end the TOS says we the poster are responsible for our own words.

admin  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 11:44:59 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hello,

We appreciate everyone’s feedback and are looking forward to improving our online community to make it the best resource to receive federal employee benefit and human resource information. Unfortunately, because of the volume of emails we receive daily, we cannot respond to each and every one personally. But please rest assured that we are receiving your messages, and are taking your comments and suggestions into consideration.

Best

Federal Soup Support
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
hearth on 4/21/2014(UTC)
FedinNYC  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:43:20 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The design of this "new" forum is laughably bad. A middle school student in a computer science class could do better. It's obvious that the Federal Soup brand really doesn't care about this forum. It's hard to even find the forum on the cluttered homepage now. Looks like they have tried to replace the forum as the main brand behind Federal Soup, with a more current event federal news brand. Won't work and people will just quit coming to this terrible design. Kind of like GovExec.

Admin I know you probably don't have much say in the matter, but tell the "academics" at your shop that their idea and redesign are absolutely terrible.
thanks 3 users thanked for this useful post.
postalvet on 4/15/2014(UTC), hearth on 4/21/2014(UTC), karen1920 on 4/22/2014(UTC)
spencerm6  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:27:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
New format is not as readable. Format is too spread out with too much blank space, comments are too hard to read due to type size and appearing compressed . Colors are not optimal. Suggest you go back to the drawing board, sorry!
See the invisible; Feel the intangible; Achieve the impossible!
thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
karen1920 on 4/22/2014(UTC), Kumary on 4/23/2014(UTC)
swimmingly  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:21:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
This is not as user friendly as all. Why is my NEW post tab un usable?
KJ  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:20:33 AM(UTC)
KJ

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I spent time this morning looking for old posts that I had links to. The links are broken. Finally an advanced search in Google saved the day.

The search function in Federal Soup is rather limited. Three of the above mentioned links could not be found using the integrated search function.

The links, as previously posted, no longer work.
buckeyeguy2010  
#18 Posted : Friday, May 02, 2014 10:04:10 PM(UTC)

Like most of the prior commentors, I do not like most of changes in the new format. Maybe I will learn to like them more after I learn to use them by the "learning by fooling around with the site" technique.
Retreaded DD/GS Careerist
Not retiring yet  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 06, 2014 5:21:33 AM(UTC)
Not retiring yet

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KJ Go to Quoted Post
I spent time this morning looking for old posts that I had links to. The links are broken. Finally an advanced search in Google saved the day.

The search function in Federal Soup is rather limited. Three of the above mentioned links could not be found using the integrated search function.

The links, as previously posted, no longer work.

KJ and others IF you click on your user name (KJ) it will give a list, ALL POSTS by user. As for newest posts on any day, when you open soup, scroll to bottom of page, the newest are listed there, last post is also listed on right of each topic. Hope it helps someone.
xiaonvren  
#20 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 2:56:52 AM(UTC)
xiaonvren

Oh, almost forgot...the font size is too small, difficult to read.