Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jbutler9  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 11:59:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I want to start this topic for a few reasons.

1. To establish a central thread to offer specific, again I say specific, Federal Salary negotions when being offered a job.

2. I have read the threads in the forum and it seems that there are a great deal of assumptions, and not actual experiences being offered for the negotiation process.

3. Because I am going for an interview soon for a Federal IT job and want to make sure that my GS positions/ Salary is the best that I can get.

If you know the process for salary negotiaton, or have successfully negotiated a higher position from teh one you were initally offered, please detail exactly what you did to achieve this.

[This message was edited by jbutler9 on September 16, 2008 at 12:03 PM.]
SubLdo  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:34:11 AM(UTC)

Great thread topic, I hope it gets responses.

1. In my case (new to federal service, NSPS vice GS) I was called by HR after the candidate selection was made. It took almost two weeks from my "phone interview" (hiring manager was located in Hawaii) until I was contacted by HR. Note- This position had no incumbent (it was formerly a military billet) and was not previously under the GS system.

2. During the same phone call, HR asked that I send them my salary history (I am retired military with 30 years of "military income" history but only 6 months of private sector history - Note: my Military income was higher by at least $20,000 per year). I provided them my last three years of military income and my recent private sector pay stub).

3. In the same phone call they asked I submit my salary requirement with a justification statement. Note: My Dept of Navy on-line resume indicated my lowest salary requirement.

4. Two weeks passed, and HR "called" with a tentative offer that was $14,000 per year less than what I had asked for.

5. I declined the salary but said I wanted to accept the position and countered the salary with another salary figure. It has been 3 business days since we talked...still waiting on HR to respond...or not.

6. As a potential new hire into the federal goverment, I did my own research on NSPS and found that they can offer 30% above Step 1 of the equivilant GS grade for the position. Even though the postion is NSPS payband 3, I asked the person interviewing me, what the equivilant GS grade was. He said it was a GS15 position. Armed with this information (NSPS payband salary with local market supplemental and GS scales with locality pay) I fully understood what the range of salary "could" be. With a 30% variable in thier new hire salary policy it essentially means they can offer anything in the entire range step 1-10 of the targeted GS grade. In my case thier tentative offer was more than step 1 of the target grade.

7. I am also negotiating a hiring bonus because I have to move to a very high cost housing market and I will be losing a bunch of equity in the current real estate market. As a new hire to the federal government a hiring bonus can be authorized. I am unsure of a relocation bonus.

I will post the results of my negotiation. The difference in salary currently stands at $14,000. I hope to meet them half-way.

I have posted similar questions and haven't really gotten a good answer on how the tentative offer works when it comes down to salary.
yimhouse  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:28:32 AM(UTC)

I am in the middle of considering some job options: A. Tentative offer on a GS-11 job and B. Final list for GS-12 job. I am one of the "top three" so we are discussing salary.

With either job, I will be taking a big pay cut so I am trying to negotiate salaries but no success yet. They told me that if these positions were NSPS positions then I can negotiate but with GS, I have to start at Step 1. I did ask my ex boss (GS-15) about negotiation possibilities and he told me that under GS system it is really limited. Asked about the recruiting bonus, etc. but I am not successful yet. I am coming from corporate America so everything is negotiable. I guess it is different in the federal systems.
Philbert  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2009 6:42:07 AM(UTC)

Since your posts were dated in September, is it safe to assume that all three of you struck out ?

I've copied my question from a different thread:

Tentative Offer Procedures

Looking for feedback, fast.

I've noticed two posts talking about TO's being rescinded and this recent post (that doesn't have a conclusion to the story.)

I received a Tentative Offer by email for a position with the salary that correctly corresponds to Step one on the GS-Level. (I checked the locality tables).

I wrote back indicating that I would most likely accept the offer, but I wanted to briefly review some websites on benefits, etc.

However, I also brought up that the salary offer was lower than the lowest figure listed in the USAJobs posting, and asked that they "look into it."

Did I just lose this job by asking the question?

Has anyone successfully "negotiated" anything between the TO and the formal offer?

What about "recruiting incentives"? I have read everything I can find and, at least in theory, I appear to meet the requirements. When, if ever do I inquire about any of them (I am most interested in loan forgiveness.)

I also appear to eligible for service credit to my leave accrual based on my military service. When (if ever) do I ask about that?

I owe a reply by Monday the 12th.

Thanks very much.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed