Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Information Security

Information security can mean protecting information and information systems from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification or destruction. This goes beyond just computers and networks. Risks and threats can come from individuals, acts of nature, and new technology.

This topic affects everyone in the federal workforce - top to bottom. Thus, it is also the responsibility of everyone in the federal workforce to protect the information from threats.

Share your experience with securing information.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
raafi  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2015 3:36:14 PM(UTC)
raafi

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Has anyone of you received a letter from OPM that your "security information has been comprised and may be used against you. Finger prints have also been compromised". Federal govt will be providing fraud protection services for three years.
This is serious and I am literally freaking out.
Draconian  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2015 7:45:03 PM(UTC)
Draconian

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Yep, I just got one of those letters, too.

I'm not freaking out, though, because, seriously, what, exactly, can anyone do with stolen fingerprints these days? Unless, of course, you're a multi-billionaire with finger-print encrypted uber-secret safes. Then, yeah, you might want to worry.

But for the rest of us? Yeah, our data was stolen. And hasn't been sold on 'the market', nor has any of it been used.

Identity theft doesn't seem to be the motive. The coverage is 'just in case'.

If anyone can think of a plausible scenario where this might cause an issue, please do chime in.

As for me, I chuckle, because not a soul would believe I could hold onto anything long enough to leave more than a partial, very smudged print. (Smudged when whatever I was trying to hold slipped from my nigh well useless hands)

And for the rest? That's what the protection service is for.
~Leave everyplace better than you found it.
CPAHopefull  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:11:19 AM(UTC)
CPAHopefull

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I got my letter yesterday. My concern is not so much for myself (I'm covered by the protection), but for all those I had listed on my SF-86. I'm having to go through a security clearance, and some of the information I had to enter for them was pretty detailed. Granted, I don't think I had to give SSN's for any of them - but it did ask for things like place of birth for some of them.
GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:36:08 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 340 time(s) in 280 post(s)
Actually, I'm a bit concerned by the fingerprints. In working for a great damn big financial insitution, we relied on fingerprint - handprint really - pads to gain access to the secured facility. It's not uncommon.
mtg2005  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2015 7:04:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
My husband got one yesterday. I have not received one yet. His only relationship with OPM is spousal so I guess my letter is on a slower snail's back or, once again, I am on the list with no letter.
hesk  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 10:13:30 PM(UTC)
hesk

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My wife received one today as she was on my background check paperwork. Will I get one too?
GSBS  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 1:12:45 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Draconian Go to Quoted Post
Yep, I just got one of those letters, too.

If anyone can think of a plausible scenario where this might cause an issue, please do chime in.

You must be kidding? Everything, every Bank account, your SSN & drivers license, every bit of your personal information, medical issues, all your secret activity, your legal history, your criminal history is now available and you don't care?

The Credit monitoring service works great, except only one (1) Credit report will be generated at the time of enrollment, no scores provided, and non stop warnings are sent about local Sex offenders. While its good to see if anyone you know is on the list, I would prefer a more credit based service including NEW on demand Credit reports. I think we were cheated when it comes to this service and the breach, and looking forward to the class action law suits!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed