Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Air Reserve Technicians

Air reserve technicians, commonly referred to as ARTs, are a nucleus of managers, planners and trainers who have knowledge and expertise to smooth Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) units' transition from a peacetime to a wartime environment. They provide management continuity, equipment maintenance and training support to help keep their units combat ready.

Air reserve technicians carry dual status, working as full-time civil service employees for the Air Force and as military members in the same AFRC units where they work as civilians and performing the same job. A civil servant or public servant is a civilian career public sector employee working for a government department or agency. In their civilian role, air reserve technicians provide full-time support throughout the month for their units. In the AFRC, air reserve technicians participate with other reservists on weekends and annual active-duty tours.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AT1  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 1:04:46 PM(UTC)
AT1

Groups: Registered

Hi, I am currently active duty(SrA) and saw an opening for an ART position which has a different AFSC and is a MSgt slot opened for all US Citizen. I meet all the requirements as my additional duty(secondary job) is working directly under for the guy that is in the same position I am trying to apply for. I have seen an ART personnel in my unit that was a SrA and got promoted to TSgt within a couple of years since that was his slot. Would I be in the same boat?
CivSer67  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 3:12:48 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
You can apply yes, but you still have to do TIG requirements all the way to MSgt. With that being said, the chances of you getting hired into a MSgt slot are very slim. Nothing against you personally, but I for one would not pull the trigger.
AT1  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:30:28 PM(UTC)
AT1

Originally Posted by: CivSer67 Go to Quoted Post
You can apply yes, but you still have to do TIG requirements all the way to MSgt. With that being said, the chances of you getting hired into a MSgt slot are very slim. Nothing against you personally, but I for one would not pull the trigger.

If I may, what is the reason?

The job is safety which is not an entry level afsc so most would still have go cross train. I literally do the same job described in the requirements and duty section and all I have to do is submit the report for review and approval of the guy sitting in the position I want. The only reason I see I wouldn't get it is if someone with the same experience as me and already has that afsc which I don't have.

Squadron explosive safety reps does not have to be in that afsc, we just get trained by the wing safety who has obtained that afsc and get a little cert lol. The additional duty spot I am holding is suppose to be a tsgt spot but I am the most knowledgeable in the AFI and policy/procedures pertaining to the program since had to recommend changes to the wing on my work facility to accommodate my afsc and also redo the lesson plan and Operating policies so I read all of their AFI. Kinda sucks that I find a job that seemed like it was written based on my resume instead of the other way around and have a slim chance of getting it cause of rank even though I do the same job just one step lower which is not having the final approval. I thought two and a half years of experience would be sufficient.
CivSer67  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:08:03 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Well, there is a reason why the job is rated at the MSgt level. Maybe He/She will be the Supt. there, or the SME. That position will also probably be the senior rater in that section. Ask yourself as a SrA can you do all that? even as a promotable SSgt the simple answer is NO! As a former SNCO and Superintendent , I counted on my MSgt to do the work commensurate with their rank. Like I stated earlier, this is no way a dig at you, but I hope you understand what I am getting at?
AT1  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:28:44 PM(UTC)
AT1

Originally Posted by: CivSer67 Go to Quoted Post
Well, there is a reason why the job is rated at the MSgt level. Maybe He/She will be the Supt. there, or the SME. That position will also probably be the senior rater in that section. Ask yourself as a SrA can you do all that? even as a promotable SSgt the simple answer is NO! As a former SNCO and Superintendent , I counted on my MSgt to do the work commensurate with their rank. Like I stated earlier, this is no way a dig at you, but I hope you understand what I am getting at?

Understandable. Well I guess I'll just keep looking. It's kinda hard trying to swallow the pride down and taking a lower responsibility position when I already do so much. Feels like I'm moving a step back instead of forward.
CivSer67  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:40:37 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

I didn't say do not apply, I'm just giving you rationale as to what I would do if I were the hiring authority...GO for it by all means
Rss Feed  Atom Feed